Alpha 9 II - Full-frame Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera
High-speed 24.2MP up to 20FPS with 60 AF/AE per sec., pro-workflow.
- 24.2MP*1 Full-frame stacked CMOS sensor w/ integrated memory
- Up to 20fps*2 with 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second*3
- Add Voice memo4 (.wav) to images or voice to text5 for IPTC data
- Real-time Tracking6 and Real-time Eye AF for human, animal6 and movie
- High-speed 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi7, 1 Gbps Ethernet and secure FTP transfer
- Continuous view Blackout-free8 OLED Tru-Finder w/ 100% frame coverage
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization, 5.5 step*9 shutter speed advantage
- Anti-flicker10 mode to reduce the effect of artificial lighting
- Silent, vibration-free, anti-distortion shutter*14 up to 1/32,000 sec.
- Up to ISO 204,800 w/ Wide dynamic range, 14-bit uncompressed RAW
FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
Full-frame Telephoto Zoom G Master Lens with Optical SteadyShot
FE 70-200 mm F2.8 GM OSS
Full-frame Telephoto Zoom G Master Lens with Optical SteadyShot
FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS
Full-frame Telephoto Zoom G Master Lens with Optical SteadyShot
FE 24-70 mm F2.8 GM
Full-frame Standard Zoom G Master Lens
Inspired by Professional Passion
Built for Speed, Reliability and Productivity
The α9 II offers advances that answer the demands of professional workflows, including sophisticated operability and network connectivity for enhanced support in the field, rugged go-anywhere reliability and unrivalled speed.
α9 II Photo Gallery
Polished Speed Performance
High image quality
Advanced Workflow Support
Acquire Previously Elusive Moments that Make History
High-speed continuous shooting at up to 20fps 2
Groundbreaking full-frame Exmor RSTM CMOS sensor and BIONZ XTM processor team up for 20fps continuous shooting with AF/AE tracking. Stunning high-speed performance and ample buffer let you capture the decisive moment.
Blackout-Free Shooting 8
Electronic shutter eliminates blackout typical of SLR mirror cameras. Subject is visible during shutter release, with 60fps live-view and minimal display lag in continuous shooting.
(A) Blackout-free Shooting (B) Shooting with blackouts
AF/AE calculations up to 60 times/sec. 3
Light reaches the image sensor without mechanical interruption. Mirrorless construction and speed-enhancing technologies provide AF/AE at the full-frame focal plane.
(1) AF/AE calculations (2) 60 times/sec (3) 20 frames/sec
Electronic shutter speeds up to 1/32000 sec. 14
Electronic shutter speeds up to 1/32000 sec 14 far surpass mechanical shutters for a new imaging expression. You can also maintain shallow depth of field without an ND filter, even under bright conditions.
(A mode 1/20000 sec F8.0 ISO 1000, shot with α9)
No Distracting Sounds
An anti-distortion electronic shutter allows the scene to be captured silently, with no risk of mechanical mirror or shutter sounds disrupting the tension at a sports event, for example.
Anti-Flicker Shooting 10
Flicker from fluorescent and other artificial lighting is detected, and shutter operation is timed to suppress exposure and color anomalies (at high shutter speeds) and inconsistency between continuous shots.
Anti-flicker  ON  OFF
10fps 16 with Mechanical Shutter
The mechanical shutter now allows continuous shooting at up to 10fps 8, and can also be used with a flash. You can deploy high-speed continuous shooting for scenes as appropriate.
Full-Frame Stacked Integral-Memory CMOS Sensor
The 24.2-megapixel 1 full-frame high-speed stacked image sensor stores data in integral memory for lightning-fast readout. The CMOS sensor and enhanced BIONZ X image-processing engine together bring you true digital freedom.
[Stacked back-illuminated structure with integral memory]
(1) Pixel area (2) Integral memory (3) Hi-speed signal processing circuit (4) Image processing engine
Outstanding AF Performance
4D FOCUS: Wide AF
4D FOCUS: Fast AF
With 693 phase-detection and 425 contrast-detection AF points, the sensor provides wide and high-density AF covering 93% of the image.
Thanks to responsive enhanced Fast Hybrid AF, the α9 II delivers swift AF even under dim lighting conditions, with a remarkable ability to capture a subject.
4D FOCUS: Steadfast Tracking
See more about 4D FOCUS
Uninterrupted AF and an optimized AF algorithm dramatically enhance AF accuracy and tracking. Even during shutter release, constant AF activation allows continuous tracking of subject motion.
Speed meets artificial intelligence
Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF are both designed for fast, precise and intelligent tracking of your subject, using AI-based algorithms and processing an enormous amount of data in real time.
AI-based Real-time Tracking 6
After the subject is specified, precise focus is maintained while the shutter button is half-pressed. Position changes are accurately tracked, providing framing flexibility as you concentrate on getting the best shot.
The AI recognition algorithm efficiently processes color, pattern, distance, face, and eye data from the image sensor for high accuracy.
(1) Face [AI] (2) Eye [AI] (3) Color (4) Pattern (5) Distance (6) Real-time Processing
Instant Focusing on One Eye
Even when another object passes in front, Real-time Eye AF can maintain focus on one of the subject's eyes when the shutter is half-pressed, or by pressing AF-ON or a custom button.
Right/left eye selection to meet your need
You can even select a specific eye—left or right—before or during shooting via a custom button. Eye selection allows you to focus on composition, lighting, and other details.
Eye AF for Animals
Fast, precise automatic detection and tracking with animal and human eye tracking 6 greatly increases the success rate in capturing images of animals in the wild or pets at home. 6
More AF features for assured shooting
Reliable even in low light
Advanced AF algorithms contribute to AF precision at light levels as low as EV-3. The Focus Priority in Aperture Drive option is for more accurate focusing in dim lighting and when the aperture is stopped down.
Improved Focus Frame Usability
Even with the shutter button half-pressed, the focus area can now be moved with the multi-selector to any location. Conveniently, the focus frame color can be set to red or white to suit the scene.
Highly Advanced Stacked CMOS Sensor
The Latest Image Processing System
Approx. 24.2 effective megapixels, high sensitivity, back-illuminated configuration, gapless on-chip lens architecture, and other Sony innovations deliver stunning images in a wide range of photographic situations.
The latest BIONZ X image processing engine works in tandem with the front-end LSI to maximize high-resolution sensor performance.
Superb image quality
3.68-Million-Dot Quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder™
High-sensitivity performance up to ISO 51200 and algorithm advances realize smooth expression, including natural skin colors and smooth gradations in areas such as the sky. 14-bit RAW output is available.
The 3.68-million-dot viewfinder (EVF) shows a detailed image. 120fps finder frame rate setting provides a smooth viewfinder image with minimal motion blur. Fluorine coating on the outer lens repels dirt and makes it easier to clean.
In-Body 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
Blur reducing structure
In-body 5-axis optical image stabilization gives a 5.5-step18 shutter speed advantage. Live-view monitor image stabilization allows easy image composition even with fast-moving subjects.
(1) Yaw (2) Pitch (3) Roll
Sony re-engineered the shutter unit assembly with dampened screws to absorb any shutter shock, and an enhanced image stabilization algorithm effectively reduces image blur. Shutter sound has also been reduced.
Beautiful 4K Movie Recording
Beautiful 4K movie recording. Full-pixel readout with no pixel binning makes it possible to condense approximately 2.4 times the amount of data required for 4K (the equivalent of the amount of data required for 6K) into 3840 x 2160 4K output. Versatile with Fast Hybrid AF performance, Eye AF functions, Touch Tracking, etc.
A Wide Variety of Movie Functions
Now Real-time Eye AF for movie shooting
Real-time Eye AF newly supports movie shooting by detecting the subject’s eyes and continuing to track one eye. As the α9 II keeps that eye in precise focus, you can concentrate on composition. 6
Touch Tracking for persistent focus on your subject
When shooting movies on the α9 II, a subject touched on the LCD monitor is automatically focused and followed with Touch Tracking. If a human eye is spotted, Real-time Eye AF activates and tracks it too.
Compatible with Multi-Functional New Mic
The Multi Interface Shoe (MI Shoe) is enhanced with a Digital audio interface. Use the new ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone to record high-quality sound with minimized deterioration.
Pro Workflow Support
High-speed data transfer with 1000BASE-T available
Smooth, reliable high-speed data transfer of large image files to a designated FTP server is now available via LAN terminal supporting 1000BASE-T. FTPS (File Transfer Protocol over SSL/TLS) guarantees high security.
Add Voice Memos to Your Images 5
The new Voice Memo 4 function lets you record audio descriptions of content or shooting conditions up to 60 seconds long, attached to images as .wav files. IPTC and camera serial number information can also be embedded in image files.
Support for Background FTP Data Transfers
To meet pro needs for prompt delivery, the α9 II supports FTP data transfers in the background during and after shooting for JPEG and RAW file delivery. Up to nine FTP servers can be assigned in advance.
Built for professionals
Easy operation in vertical orientation
The new VG-C4EM provides controls with optimized location, size, shape and material similar to those on the camera body to simulate the operational "feel" when the camera is held vertically.
Extend shooting to professional length
The α9 II uses a high-capacity NP-FZ100 battery. Alternatively, two of these can be used in the optional VG-C4EM Vertical Grip for longer shooting durations and worry-free shooting in the field.
Dual media slots, both supporting UHS-II
Both media slots are compatible with UHS-I and UHS-II for fast data writing. The α9 II can simultaneously or relay record, separate RAW/JPEG data and stills/movies, and copy data between cards.
The new Save/Load Settings function saves and loads camera settings to and from SD memory card for convenient sharing with other α9 II cameras. Under “FTP Transfer Func.” is the “Save/Load FTP Settings” function, which saves and loads the FTP-related settings.
Efficient image selection
Apply star ratings and image protection via the review playback display right on the spot. You can now also review large photo collections in 10- or 100-frame jumps, and group-review continuous burst shots.
Improved menu interface
Illustration of custom key settings on the menu screen makes it easier to understand usage. In addition, you can switch between menu tabs using the front dial or Fn button with one hand.
Imaging Edge™ Remote, Viewer, and Edit desktop apps
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use “Remote” to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is a free, award-winning editing software that provides RAW development, easy management and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for even more editing tools and tethered shooting capability.
Designed with the environment in mind
Sony is committed not only to offering products, services and content that deliver exciting experiences but also to working towards our goal of a zero environmental footprint throughout our business activities.
At a Glance
Maximum Photo Resolution and Frame Rates
24.2 MP up to 20 fps
Maximum Movie Resolution and Frame Rates
4K / 30p HD / 120p
Maximum ISO Sensitivity
Photo: ISO 100-51200 (expandable: ISO 50-204800) Movie: ISO 100-51200 (expandable: ISO 100-102400)
Custom key settings, Programmable Setting (Body 3 sets/memory card 4 sets), My Menu, My Dial Settings, Reg Cust Shoot Set
Continuous Drive Speed (approx. max.)
AUTO/Electronic Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 20 fps, Mid: max. 10fps, Lo: max. 5fps , Mechanical Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 10fps, Mid: max. 8fps, Lo: max. 3 fps
Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi/Mid/Lo selectable), Self-timer, Self-timer (Cont.), Bracket: Single, Bracket: Cont., White Balance bracket, DRO bracket
No. of recordable frames (approx.)
JPEG Extra fine L: 361 frames, JPEG Fine L: 361 frames, JPEG Standard L: 361 frames, RAW: 239 frames, RAW & JPG: 226 frames, RAW (Uncompressed): 131 frames, RAW (Uncompressed) & JPG: 120 frames
10 sec delay/5 sec delay/2 sec delay/Continuous self-timer (3 frames after 10 sec delay/5 frames after 10 sec delay/3 frames after 5 sec delay/5 frames after 5 sec delay/3 frames after 2 sec delay/5 frames after 2 sec delay)/Bracketing self-timer (Off/2 sec delay/5 sec delay/10sec delay)
Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Available with AE lock button. (On/Off/Auto)
Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, 3/5/9 frames selectable. With 3 or 5 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 EV increments, with 9 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1.0 EV increments.
+/- 5.0EV (1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps selectable) (with exposure compensation dial: +/- 3EV (1/3 EV steps))
AUTO (iAuto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) ), Slow & Quick Motion (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M))
- Approximately effective megapixels
- “Hi” continuous shooting mode. At shutter speed 1/125 sec. or higher. In AF-C mode the maximum continuous frame rate will depend on the shooting mode and lens used. A software update may be required for some lenses. Visit Sony’s support web page for lens compatibility information
- At shutter speeds of 1/125 sec. or higher. The number of AF calculations will depend on the lens used
- Voice memos are associated to images as WAVE (.wav) file format with the same name as the image.
- Voice to text requires the use of Imaging Edge™ application with ‘Transfer and Tagging Add-on’ app. Version 1.1 or later required (released in October 2019). Only available in regions where Google services are available. Voice Memo exceeding 50 seconds cannot be converted to text. For more information on the new application updates, please visit the ‘Transfer & Tagging add-on’ website at https://sony.net/ttad/6s Rea-time Tracking activated in the menu. Eye-AF for Animal works for stills only.
- Models sold in some countries/regions support IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) wireless LAN only. 5 GHz communication may be restricted in some countries and regions
- Electronic shutter mode. Display updating will be slower at slow shutter speeds
- CIPA standards. Pitch/yaw shake only. Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens. Long exposure NR off
- Only 100 Hz and 120 Hz flicker is detected. Continuous shooting speed may decrease. Flicker-free shooting is not available during electronic shutter, BULB exposure, or movie recording
- Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and moisture proof
- Version 2.0 or later required. For more information on the new application updates, please visit the ‘Remote Camera Tool’ website at https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/remotecameratool/l/index.php13 A Class 10 or higher SDHC/SDXC card is required for XAVC S format movie recording. UHS speed class 3 or higher is required for 100 Mbps recording.
- 1/32000 shutter speed is available only in the S and M modes (there are no intermediate settings between 1/16000 and 1/32000). The highest shutter speed in all other modes is 1/16000. Some distortion may occur when shooting fast-moving subjects or if the camera is moved sideways rapidly while using the electronic shutter.
- Digital audio interface recording requires compatible Sony’s microphone, e.g. ECM-B1M or XLR-K3M XLR microphone adaptor
- “Hi” continuous shooting mode, UHS-II memory card. Sony tests.
- When the camera [Aperture Drive in AF] is set to [Focus Priority], the aperture value can be set greater than F16. The continuous speed slows down. Compatible lenses: SEL200600G, SEL35F18F, SEL400F28GM, SEL600F40GM
- Sony internal tests with electronic front curtain shutter.
© 2019 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony is not responsible for typographical and photographic errors. Features and specifications are subject to change without notice. Sony, G Master, the Alpha logo and the Sony logo are trademark of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.