FE 50mm F1.2 GM
Full-frame Standard Prime G Master Lens
- Compact F1.2 prime lens w/ awe-inspiring G Master resolution and bokeh
- F1.2 max aperture for extraordinary shallow depth of field
- Three (XA) Extreme Aspheric elements for stunning resolution
- 11-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Nano AR coating II suppresses reflections, flare and ghosting
- Four XD Extreme Dynamic Linear motors for fast, precise autofocus
- Linear response MF for precise manual focus control
- 15.75” min. focus distance up to 0.17x magnification
- Built for both worlds: Ideal for still and video creators
- Compact, lightweight design: Ideal for both full-frame and APS-C2
- Instant auto/manual focus selection via AF/MF switch
- Manual aperture ring w/ selectable on/off click for stills or movie
- Two programmable focus-hold buttons for multiple custom functions
- Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability1
- Fluorine front-element coating helps repel dirt and fingerprints
- 1st F1.2, 5th anniversary G Master, 40th FE, 60th E-mount lens
Alpha 9 - Full-frame Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera
High-speed 24.2MP up to 20FPS with 60 AF/AE per sec., pro-workflow.
Spectacularly fast, sharp 50 mm at F1.2
Interview with the Development Team
G Master resolution without compromise
The compact, lightweight FE 50 mm F1.2 GM is an ideal choice for dedicated creators. XA (extreme aspherical) elements and other advanced technologies combine to achieve extraordinary resolution and contrast from the image center right out to the edges. Sony Nano AR Coating II subdues flare and ghosting, while a floating focus mechanism ensures optimum sharpness at any focusing distance.
Smooth, refined G Master bokeh
XA elements plus painstaking spherical aberration control at the design and manufacturing stages contribute to gorgeous G Master bokeh that can really make portrait and other subjects stand out, especially with the shallow depth of field available at the lens's maximum F1.2 aperture. An 11-blade circular aperture mechanism contributes to beautifully circular bokeh.
Fast, precise, quiet AF and tracking
Fast, accurate focus is assured, even with extremely shallow 50 mm F1.2 depth of field. Four XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors smoothly deliver high thrust to position the large, heavy focus groups for fast, accurate AF. Original Sony E-mount lens technology ensures that you get maximum performance from E-mount bodies—for both stills and movies.
3.5" (87 mm) in diameter, 4.38" (108 mm) long, and weighing just 27.5 oz (778 g), the FE 50 mm F1.2 GM complements compact, high-performance E-mount bodies to create a system that gives serious shooters the mobility and handling. Three XA elements and four XD Linear Motors in a large-aperture lens that is surprisingly compact offer extraordinary creative potential.
Professional control and reliability
Two focus hold buttons, a focus mode switch, a focus ring, an aperture ring with switchable click stops and other controls support smooth operation. The focus hold buttons can be assigned to other functions via a camera menu. Linear Response MF ensures that the focus ring responds linearly to manual focus control. Effective dust and moisture resistance2 and a fluorine front element coating enhance reliability.
G Master series lenses take imaging and expression to previously unattainable levels with a stunning blend of extremely high resolution and softly dissolving background bokeh.
 Extreme aspherical lens (XA lens)
 Contrast (%).  Distance from optical center of lens (mm)  Max. aperture  F8 aperture  Spatial frequency  10 line pairs / mm  30 line pairs / mm  Radial values  Tangential values
 Focusing ring  Focus hold button  Aperture ring  Focus mode switch  Aperture index
 Aperture click switch
Designed with the environment in mind
Sony is committed not only to offering products, services and content that deliver exciting experiences but also to working towards our goal of a zero environmental footprint throughout our business activities.
At a Glance
Size and Weight
3.5 x 4.38 in. / 27.5 oz.
35 mm equivalent focal length (APS-C)
Angle of View (35 mm)
Angle of View (APS-C)
Filter Diameter (mm)
Focal Length (mm)
35 mm full frame
Round, bayonet type
Image stabilization (SteadyShot)
Lens Groups / Elements
Maximum Magnification ratio (x)
Maximum aperture (F)
Minimum Aperture (F)
Minimum Focus Distance
1.32 ft (0.4 m)
- Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and moisture resistant
- 50mm focal length on full-frame cameras and 75mm when used on APS-C cameras. Focal length based on 35mm full-frame equivalent.
© 2021 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony is not responsible for typographical and photographic errors. Features and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Sony, the Sony logo, the Alpha logo and G MASTER are trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.