- Ultra-compact fast prime w/ G series lens quality and performance
- F2.5 max aperture for low-light and shallow depth of field
- Two Aspherical elements for corner-to-corner sharpness
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements reduce chromatic aberration
- 7-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Two Linear motors for fast, precise autofocus tracking
- Linear response MF for precise manual focus control
- Up to 12.2” min. focus distance and up to 0.21x magnification3
- Built for both worlds: Ideal for still and video creators
- Ultra-compact and lightweight for both full-frame and APS-C2 cameras
- Instant auto/manual focus selection via AF/MF switch
- Manual aperture ring w/ selectable on/off click for stills or movie
- Programmable focus-hold buttons for multiple custom functions
- Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability1
- Aluminum exterior ensures a premium finish and durability
Compact and precision 50-mm F2.5 prime lens
A matching set of portable primes
This is one of our G Lens primes (sold separately), offering different focal lengths but the same external look, 49‑mm filter diameter, compact design, and layout. They're compact enough to carry all three, so you're ready for great shots across a range of scenes and subjects, and the similar weight even makes gimbal rebalancing easy.
Beautiful natural bokeh
A 7-blade circular aperture is provided, with precise control of the spherical aberration that affects bokeh, delivering the beautiful natural bokeh of the G Lens.
Double linear motors for fast, precise, and quiet AF
Two linear motors deliver fast, precise AF with superb tracking performance that maximizes camera body performance to capture vital moments in street snaps and the like. The fast, precise, quiet AF with superb tracking performance is ideal for shooting movies as well as stills.
Excellent close-up performance
A minimum focus distance of 1.15 ft (35 cm) (AF) / 1.02 ft (31 cm) (MF) and magnification of 0.18x (AF) / 0.21x (MF) make the lens useful in many situations like table photography or shooting close-ups of flowers or small objects you find around town with a blurred background that makes the subject stand out.
High operability and reliability in a compact design
Despite its compact size, the lens provides a focus hold button, focus mode switch, aperture ring, aperture click switch, and Linear Response MF for intuitive operability and comfortable shooting. The metal (aluminum) exterior finish of the lens body and hood contributes to reliability through increased strength and durability. The design is also dust- and moisture-resistant2, providing reliability in harsh outdoor shooting environments.
Impeccable Sony G Lens design emphasizes a graceful balance between high resolution and gorgeous background bokeh that can enhance the artist's vision.
 Aspherical lens  ED (extra-low dispersion) glass
MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) describes how well a lens can reproduce fine details, measured as the degree of contrast achieved between finely spaced lines.
 Contrast (%)  Distance from optical center of lens (mm)
 Max. aperture  F8 aperture  Spatial frequency
 10 line pairs/mm  30 line pairs/mm
 Radial values  Tangential values
1. Focusing ring / 2. Aperture ring / 3. Focus Hold button / 4. Aperture Index / 5. Focus Mode Switch
6. Aperture click switch
Designed with the environment in mind
Sony is committed not only to offering products, services and content that deliver exciting experiences but also to working towards our goal of a zero environmental footprint throughout our business activities.
At a Glance
Size and Weight
2.75 x 1.816 in. / 6.2 oz.
Teleconverter compatibility (x1.4)
Teleconverter compatibility (x2.0)
Image stabilization (SteadyShot)
Minimum Focus Distance
1.15 ft (AF), 1.02 ft (MF) (0.35 m (AF), 0.31 m (MF))
Maximum aperture (F)
Minimum Aperture (F)
Angle of View (APS-C)
35 mm full frame
Angle of View (35 mm)
Filter Diameter (mm)
Focal Length (mm)
35 mm equivalent focal length (APS-C)
Lens Groups / Elements