FE 400 mm F2.8 GM OSS
Full-frame Super-telephoto Prime G Master Lens with Optical SteadyShot
- Premium G Master series large-aperture super telephoto lens
- Newly developed XD Linear Motor for extremely fast, precise, quiet AF
- Three fluorite lenses for outstanding resolution
- Sony Nano AR Coating to eliminate flare and ghosting
- Full-time DMF and other features support professional shooting needs
1.4x Teleconverter Lens
1.4x Teleconverter compatible with select telephoto lenses
2x Teleconverter compatible with select telephoto lenses
At a Glance
Size and Weight
6.25 x 14.25 in. / 102.2 oz.
35 mm equivalent focal length (APS-C)
Angle of View (35 mm)
Angle of View (APS-C)
Filter Diameter (mm)
Focal Length (mm)
35 mm full frame
Image stabilization (SteadyShot)
Lens Groups / Elements
17-23 *Including one filter
Maximum Magnification ratio (x)
Maximum aperture (F)
Minimum Aperture (F)
Minimum Focus Distance
8.86 ft (2.7 m)
- Compared to 400mm F2.8 lenses for 35mm full-frame format cameras, as of June 2018, Sony survey.
- Fastest in their class. Referring to Sony’s 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, a9 at 20fps, a7R III at 42.4MP at 10fps. According to Sony tests.
- When mounted on the α9. Compared to the 300mm F2.8 G SSM II mounted on the α9 (via LA-EA3), Sony tests.
- Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and moisture proof.
- Maximum aperture with the 1.4x and 2.0x tele-converters is F4 and F5.6, respectively.
- α9 software must be updated to the latest version to activate when this lens is used with the α9. Refer to the Sony support site for camera body compatibility information
- A normal filter is initially installed in the filter slot. The filter is part of the lens’s optical system, and either the normal filter or circular polarizer should always be in place when using the lens. Be sure that a filter is installed before memorizing the focus point for the preset focus function
- Support for this feature is currently only planned for the α9. The maximum continuous shooting speed of an α9 body fitted with the FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS will be 20 fps at F11 and larger, and 10 fps at F13 and smaller (Latest α9 software, “Hi” continuous shooting mode, focus priority, 1/125 or faster shutter speed). Maximum shooting speed will depend on settings and conditions