FE 40mm F2.5 G
Full-frame Standard Prime G Master Lens
- Ultra-compact fast prime w/ G series lens quality and performance
- F2.5 max aperture for low-light and shallow depth of field
- Three Aspherical elements for corner-to-corner sharpness
- 7-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Two Linear motors for fast, precise autofocus tracking
- Linear response MF for precise manual focus control
- Up to 9.84” min. focus distance and up to 0.23x magnification3
- Built for both worlds: Ideal for still and video creators
- Ultra-compact and lightweight for both full-frame and APS-C2 cameras
- Instant auto/manual focus selection via AF/MF switch
- Manual aperture ring w/ selectable on/off click for stills or movie
- Programmable focus-hold button for multiple custom functions
- Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability1
- Aluminum exterior ensures a premium finish and durability
Compact and precision 40-mm F2.5 prime lens
A matching set of portable primes
This is one of our G Lens primes (sold separately), offering different focal lengths but the same external look, 49‑mm filter diameter, compact design, and layout. They're compact enough to carry all three, so you're ready for great shots across a range of scenes and subjects, and the similar weight even makes gimbal rebalancing easy.
Intuitive, metal design and clear optics
The metal (aluminum) finish of the lens body and hood, plus the engraved focal length and aperture markings, emphasize a superb build quality. The ultra-compact lightweight design, the high image quality of the G Lens, the aperture ring, and Linear Response MF deliver intuitive operability that makes shooting a pleasure.
Compact and lightweight for constant carrying and comfortable shooting
The mechanical design takes maximum advantage of state-of-the-art optics with an effective layout of three aspherical lens elements, and the short flange back unique to mirrorless cameras, to realize stunning compactness and a weight of only 5.8 oz (162 g). The lens is ideal for shooting scenery or snaps, or movie shooting with a gimbal, or selfie shooting using the wide angle of view. Mobility is delivered by the compact design that matches both full-frame and APS-C bodies.
High corner-to-corner image quality from state-of-the-art optics
High image quality is realized by state-of-the-art optics using three aspherical elements, delivering high resolution in all parts of the image. The aspherical elements compensate for various aberrations, delivering high-resolution performance from corner to corner of the image, even from the widest aperture with shallow depth of field.
Beautiful natural bokeh
A 7-blade circular aperture is provided, with precise control of the spherical aberration that affects bokeh, delivering the beautiful natural bokeh of the G Lens.
Double linear motors for fast, precise, and quiet AF
Two linear motors deliver fast, precise AF with superb tracking performance that maximizes camera body performance to capture vital moments in street snaps and the like. The fast, precise, quiet AF with superb tracking performance is ideal for shooting movies as well as stills.
Excellent close-up performance
A minimum focus distance of 0.92 ft (28 cm) (AF) / 0.82 ft (25 cm) (MF) provides excellent close-up performance. The lens is useful in many situations like shooting close-ups of flowers or small objects you find around town with a blurred background that makes the subject stand out.
High operability and reliability in a compact design
Despite its compact size, the lens provides a focus hold button, focus mode switch, aperture ring, aperture click switch, and Linear Response MF for intuitive operability and comfortable shooting. The metal (aluminum) exterior finish of the lens body and hood contributes to reliability through increased strength and durability. The design is also dust- and moisture-resistant2, providing reliability in harsh outdoor shooting environments.
Impeccable Sony G Lens design emphasizes a graceful balance between high resolution and gorgeous background bokeh that can enhance the artist's vision.
 Aspherical lens
MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) describes how well a lens can reproduce fine details, measured as the degree of contrast achieved between finely spaced lines.
 Contrast (%)  Distance from optical center of lens (mm)
 Max. aperture  F8 aperture  Spatial frequency
 10 line pairs/mm  30 line pairs/mm
 Radial values  Tangential values
1. Focusing ring / 2. Aperture ring / 3. Focus Hold button / 4. Aperture Index / 5. Focus Mode Switch
6. Aperture click switch
Designed with the environment in mind
Sony is committed not only to offering products, services and content that deliver exciting experiences but also to working towards our goal of a zero environmental footprint throughout our business activities.
At a Glance
Size and Weight
2.75 x 1.816 in. / 6.2 oz.
35 mm equivalent focal length (APS-C)
Angle of View (35 mm)
Angle of View (APS-C)
Filter Diameter (mm)
Focal Length (mm)
35 mm full frame
Image stabilization (SteadyShot)
Lens Groups / Elements
Maximum Magnification ratio (x)
x 0.2 (AF), x 0.23 (MF)
Maximum aperture (F)
Minimum Aperture (F)
Minimum Focus Distance
0.92 ft (AF), 0.82 ft (MF) (0.28 m [AF], 0.25 m [MF])
- Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and moisture resistant
- 40mm focal length on full-frame cameras and 60mm when used on APS-C or Super-35 cameras. Focal length based on 35mm full-frame equivalent.
- Close focusing distance of 11.02” with up to 0.2x magnification in AF (autofocus) and 9.84” with up to 0.24x magnification in MF (manual focus)
© 2021 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony is not responsible for typographical and photographic errors. Features and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Sony, the Sony logo, the Alpha logo and G MASTER are trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.