- 4K1 16:9 video optimized 1/2.5” Exmor R® low-light CMOS Sensor
- Built-in gimbal - Balanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilizer
- 20x optical zoom and Clear Image Zoom of 30x for 4K1 / 40x for HD2
- Fast Intelligent AF tracks focus to captures decisive moments
- 26.8mm2 wide-angle ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* zoom lens
- High-bitrate XAVC S™ 4K1 up to 100Mbps / HD up to 50Mbps
- Realistic audio with clear 5.1ch and 2ch sound5
- Highlight Movie Maker automatically creates short movies10 to share
- Flip out tilting 3" Clear Photo touch screen LCD - ideal for vlogging
- Produce high quality 4K Time Lapse7 for an immersive experience
- Dedicated button starts Highlight Movie Maker to create short movies
- Wi-Fi for One-touch remote and One-touch sharing using smartphone8
Send to Smartphone Control with Smartphone Multi Camera Control
View on TV
Time-Lapse Capture, Shooting Interval (1/2/5/10/30/60 sec), Shot Number (1-999), Capture Image Size (4K: L (8.3 M, 3840 x 2160) / HD: S (2.1 M, 1920 x 1080)), AE Mode (AE Lock / AE Tracking)
Time Code/User Bit
Smooth Slow Rec
Yes *11 *11 Video Mode is AVCHD.
Smile Shutter *7 *7 Not available in the recording mode PS(60p/50p), FX(24p/25p/60i/50i) and FH(24p/25p)
Off/Dual Capture/Always On *8 *9 *8 Not available in the 4K Recording mode with Dual Video Recording *9 Not available in 100Mbps Movie Recording Rate.
Auto / Night Scene / Sunrise & Sunset / Fireworks / Landscape / Portrait / Spotlight / Beach / Snow
Face Detection , Cinematone, Golf Shot (Yes), Smooth Slow Rec (Yes), Fader Effect(s) (White / Black), Intelligent Auto (Portrait / Baby / Walk / Tripod / Backlight / Landscape / Spotlight / Twilight / Macro / Low-light / Auto wind noise reduction), Smile Shutter (Off / Dual Capture / Always On), Red-Eye Reduction, Direct Copy
NightShot infrared System
One-touch remote One-touch sharing
Motion Shot Video
Yes *24 *24 available only in AVCHD or XAVC S HD or MP4
Portrait/Baby/Walk/Tripod/Backlight/Landscape/Spotlight/Twilight/Macro/Low light/Auto wind noise reduction
Balanced Optical SteadyShot w/ Intelligent Active mode(5-axis) *21 *21 Not supported at XAVC S 4K
High Speed Rec
Yes (120p / 1920 x 1080, 100 / 60 Mbps)
Yes *11 *11 Video Mode is AVCHD.
Yes *8 *8 Not available in the 4K Recording mode with Dual Video Recording
- 4K (3840x2160). Requires SDXC/SDHC memory card Class 10 or higher for XAVC S 4K 60Mpbs and XAVC S HD 50Mbps recording, and SDHC/SDXCb memory card UHS-I U3 or higher for XAVC S 4K 100Mbps recording
- 35mm equivalent and when “SteadyShot” is set to “Standard” or “Off”.
- When “SteadyShot” is set to “Active” or “Intelligent Active”
- Compared to previous FDR-AX33 camcorder series.
- Video Mode is 5.1ch (AVCHD) and 2ch (XAVC S) recording
- (Highlight) When Dual Video Recording is ON. Video resolution is 1280 x 720 mp4.
- Requires editing with PlayMemories Home™ (free software for PCs). Ver. 5.1 (available in January 2016) or later version is required to create time-lapse movie.
- Requires NFC-compatible mobile device. Check device’s user manual for compatibility.
- PlayMemories Home™ (free software for PCs) is available for compiling time lapse movies and select and transfer background music to the Handycam® for Highlight Movie Maker. The latest version is required.
- When Dual Video Recording is ON. Video resolution is 1280 x 720 mp4.
© 2020 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony is not responsible for typographical and photographic errors. Features and specifications are subject to change without notice. Sony, G Master, the Alpha logo and the Sony logo are trademark of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.