Alpha 7 IV - Full-frame Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera
Hybrid 33MP up to 10FPS, up to 4K 60p, 7k oversmpled for 4K 30p, 5-axis stabilization
- 33MP1 full-frame Exmor R™ back-illuminated CMOS sensor
- 8x more powerful2, next generation BIONZ XR™ image processing engine
- Up to 4K 60p11 10-bit 4:2:2 w/ full pixel readout in all rec. formats
- 7K oversampling full-frame 4K11 30p 10-bit 4:2:2 w/ no pixel binning
- Real-time Eye-AF for humans, animals, birds for photo and movie
- S-Cinetone, S-Log3, HLG and 10 Creative Look presets in-camera
- Advanced movie features; Focus Map16, Breathing Comp14., AF Assist17
- UVC/UAC live streaming up to 4K 15p/1080 60p w/ internal recording
- Low noise images w/ ISO up to 204800 and 15+stop dynamic range3
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization and Active Mode18 for handheld movie
Frequently Bought Together
FE 24-70 mm F2.8 GM
FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM
FE 70-200 mm F2.8 GM OSS
FE 24mm F1.4 GM
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Full-frame Large-aperture Wide Angle G Master Lens
FE 24–105 mm F4 G OSS Lens
Alpha 7 IV
For a new generation of imagemakers.
In addition to boasting a larger pixel count and higher resolution than the α7 III, the α7 IV and its powerful Exmor R sensor represent a significant evolution of Sony's original image technology, for improvements that go beyond mere numbers. Experience new levels of color gradation and detail rendering as well as soft, natural-looking human skin textures.
The α7 IV's high-precision stabilisation unit and gyro sensors work together with image-stabilisation algorithms to achieve up to 5.5 steps3 of shutter-speed compensation, to maximise the high-resolution performance of the camera's 33.0MP1 image sensor.
The high speed of the latest image processing engine provides a significant boost to Real-time Eye AF performance, even when the subject is looking up, down, or sideways. It is also possible to use Touch Tracking to initiate Real-time Tracking of any subject in the frame, simultaneously initiating Real-time Eye AF if an eye is detected, simply by touching the screen.
By setting the camera's subject detection type to "Animal" in advance, you can automatically detect and track an animal's eyes9, for greater success in both wildlife shots and photos and movies of your pets at home. Animal-eye detection has been improved, with reliable tracking and accurate focus even when the animal's face is upside down.
For the first time in the α series, bird-eye detection is available in movies as well as still shots – simply preset the subject to "bird". The camera's astonishing speed and precision allow automatic tracking of a specific bird10, whether it's perched somewhere or in flight, keeping the eye in steady focus despite any fast and unpredictable movements.
 All-Intra (All-I)  Long GOP  Group of Pictures
The S-Cinetone colour matrix, based on technology acquired through development of CineAlta cameras such as the VENICE, produces an impressive look with beautiful skin tones without post-editing. The Creative Look presets create other interesting visual moods in-camera, or you can use S-Log3 gamma to access the camera's full dynamic range (15+ stops17) for smoother post-production workflows.
Active Mode21 stabilisation for movie shooting is built on the camera's highly accurate stabilisation unit, gyro sensors and sophisticated algorithms. It precisely detects the required amount of compensation and applies stabilisation, providing stable 4K movie shooting22 without compromising the α7 IV's compact size and mobility.
The α7 IV makes live streaming easy. When you connect to a computer via USB, the USB function selection menu will pop up on the camera display. Simply select "Live Stream (USB Streaming)" and you'll switch to that mode immediately, without needing any advance setup.
As with other new Sony products, the entire environmental lifecycle of the α7 IV has been considered, through development, production, packaging and logistics. High-performance recycled, and recyclable, plastic is used for various camera body components, alongside more recyclable packaging. Our production sites also leverage renewable, large-scale solar generation to reduce production energy impacts.
Designed with the environment in mind
Sony is committed not only to offering products, services and content that deliver exciting experiences but also to working towards our goal of a zero environmental footprint throughout our business activities.
Number of Pixels (Effective)
Approx. 33.0 megapixels
Number of Pixels (total)
Approx. 34.1 megapixels
35 mm full frame (35.9 x 23.9 mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
Yes (Charge protection coating on optical filter and image sensor shift mechanism)
Recording (still images)
JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.32, MPF Baseline compliant), HEIF (MPEG-A MIAF compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 4.0 format compliant)
Image Size (pixels) [3:2]
35 mm full frame L : 7008 x 4672 (33 M), M : 4608 x 3072 (15 M), S : 3504 x 2336 (8.2 M), APS-C M : 4608 x 3072 (15 M), S : 3504 x 2336 (8.2 M)
Image size (pixels) [4:3]
35 mm full frame L : 6224 x 4672 (29 M), M : 4096 x 3072 (13 M), S : 3120 x 2336 (7.3 M), APS-C M : 4096 x 3072 (13 M), S : 3120 x 2336 (7.3 M)
Image Size (pixels) [16:9]
35 mm full frame L : 7008 x 3944 (28 M), M : 4608 x 2592 (12 M), S : 3504 x 1968 (6.9 M), APS-C M : 4608 x 2592 (12 M), S : 3504 x 1968 (6.9 M)
Image size (pixels) [1:1]
35 mm full frame L : 4672 x 4672 (22 M), M : 3072 x 3072 (9.4 M), S : 2336 x 2336 (5.5 M), APS-C M : 3072 x 3072 (9.4 M), S : 2336 x 2336 (5.5 M)
Image Quality Modes
RAW (Compressed / Lossless Compressed / Uncompressed), JPEG (Extra fine / Fine / Standard / Light), HEIF (4:2:0 / 4:2:2) (Extra fine / Fine / Standard / Light), RAW & JPEG, RAW & HEIF
Yes (Off / PP1-PP11) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, S-Cinetone, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3, HLG, HLG1-3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
SOFT SKIN EFFECT
- Approximate effective.
- Compared to the Alpha 7 III.
- Sony test conditions. 15-stop for Still images. 15+ stops for Movie.
- CIPA standards. Pitch/yaw shake only. Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens. Long exposure NR off. Still-image mode.
- Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and moisture proof.
- 759 AF measurement points for still images. The number of points used varies according to the shooting mode.
- Up to 10 fps in continuous “Hi+” mode and up to 8 fps in continuous “Hi” mode. Maximum continuous shooting speed is reduced when shooting lossless or uncompressed RAW / RAW+JPEG images. Maximum fps will depend on camera settings. Sony test conditions.
- CFexpress Type A memory card is required.
- “Tracking” must be activated in the menu.
- Accurate focus may not be achieved with certain subjects in certain situations.
- 4K QFHD (3840×2160). 7K (7032 x 3958). 4K 24p (25p) and 30p available in full-frame mode. 4K 60p (50p) recording available in Super 35mm mode only.
- SDXC memory card (V90 or higher) or CFexpress Type A memory card (VPG200 or higher) required.
- XAVC HS compatible editing software is required. XAVC HS format uses the MPEG-H HEVC/H.265 high-efficiency codec.
- Angle of view and image quality may change slightly when this feature is turned on. Breathing Compensation is not available for unsupported lenses, 120p (100p) movie recording, S&Q recording at 120p (100p), or stills. Compatibility of lenses is limited. Please see Sony support page for lens compatibility. https://www.sony.net/dics/breathing/
- Digital audio signal is available when using compatible digital MI shoe microphone.
- The Focus Map function cannot be used under the following conditions: when shooting stills, when the Focus Magnifier function is in use, when using digital zoom, during USB streaming, when no lens is mounted, when an A-mount lens is mounted, or when using the SEL16F28. For other lenses, please use the latest firmware.
- Not available when using the SELP1650, SEL18200LE or A-mount lenses.
- Effectiveness may vary according to conditions.
- The Focus Map function cannot be used in the following conditions: When shooting stills, when the Focus Magnifier function is in use, when using digital zoom, during USB streaming, when no lens is mounted, when an A-mount lens is mounted, or when using the SEL16F28. For other lenses, please use the latest firmware.
- Catalyst version 2021.1 or later is required. Camera image stabilization must be set to [Off] or [Active] in order to use the recorded metadata for image stabilization. Gyro data is not recorded when 120 fps or 100 fps is selected.
- The divider frame is a still image and will not be visible when only movie files are being displayed. Divider frames are created in JPEG format, even when shooting RAW, RAW+JPEG, or HEIF images.
- Available when assigned to a custom button.
- 5GHz communication may be restricted in some countries and regions.
- Touch Operation must be turned on in advance via the menu.
- USB charging and power delivery are only supported via the USB Type-C® terminal. A battery must be installed in the camera when supplying USB power. The internal battery may drain even if USB power is supplied, depending on the adaptor used and camera operating conditions.
- 9V/3A output. Compatibility is not guaranteed with all USB PD devices. The internal battery will not be charged while camera power is ON and the camera is in use.
- Imaging Edge Desktop and Mobile are available as free download. Imaging Edge Mobile™ version 7.6 or later is required.
- Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote/Viewer/Edit) version 3.2 or later is required. Does not support full functional compatibility with some camera models. See the Sony support site for details: https://www.sony.net/disoft/help
- Your PC or smartphone OS must be compatible with UVC/UAC to use this functionality. Among smartphones, operation has been verified with the Xperia Pro, Xperia 1 II, Xperia 1 III, Xperia 5 II and Xperia 5 III (latest firmware required) for Android™ 11 or later (As of Oct 2021). Compatibility with other smartphones depends on manufacturers’ specifications. A commercially available USB cable and/or terminal adaptor may be used to connect to equipment with a USB Type-C port. Audio will not be available when the camera is connected to an Xperia smartphone via the USB Type-C® connector using a USB 3.0 cable, and resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 or above. Audio will be available if resolution is set to HD720. Resolution is limited to 1280 x 720 when connecting via the USB Type-C® connector or Multi/Micro USB connector using a USB 2.0 cable.
- Available formats are 4K 15p (12.5p), Full HD 60p (50p), Full HD 30p (25p), and HD720 30p (25p).
- Slight image crop in Active Mode. "Standard" setting recommended for focal lengths of 200mm or longer. Active Mode is not available when recording at 120 (100) fps.
- When using a compatible flash unit from Sony.
© 2021 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony is not responsible for typographical and photographic errors. Features and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Sony, the Sony logo, the Alpha logo, Exmor R and BIONZ XR are trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.