- 12.1MP*1 Exmor R sensor, optimized for 4K, sensitivity and speed
- New BIONZ XR processing engine delivers 8x more processing power*2
- Low noise images w/ ISO up to 409,600*3 and 15+stop dynamic range*4
- Up to 4K 120p*5 10-bit 4:2:2 and full pixel readout in all rec. modes
- Up to 4K 120p*5 in XAVC S (AVC), XAVC HS (HEVC) and XAVC S-I (All-I)
- 16-bit RAW movie output up to 4K 60p via HDMI Type-A connector*6
- Effective internal heat dissipation enables 1-hour 4K 60p recording*7
- Fast readout for high frame rates, faster AF, minimal rolling shutter
- No 29m 50s continuous recording limit for movie shooting
- 3” flip-out, vari-angle LCD monitor w/ touch menu and controls
FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM
FE 24mm F1.4 GM
Vertical Grip for α9 II and α7R IV
FE 24-70 mm F2.8 GM
For visual trailblazers
With extreme full-frame movie performance including high sensitivity (expanded ISO up to 409600), 15-stop wide dynamic range, 4K 120p 2, fast and dependable autofocusing, and extra-strong image stabilization, the α7S III again raises the bar for movie makers.
Large pixels deliver high sensitivity and low noise
The new full-frame 12.1-megapixel 3 back-illuminated Exmor RTM CMOS image sensor packs major innovations in light-gathering, wiring and output optimization. These deliver blazing doubled readout speeds, superb image quality throughout the whole sensitivity range, 15-stop 4 wide dynamic range, and reduced rolling shutter, with the sensor also providing focal-plane phase-detection AF.
Up to 8x more powerful 5 BIONZ XRTM image processor
Along with the new sensor and its unprecedented speed, the BIONZ XR image processing engine has also been newly developed and packs up to 8x more processing power 5. With a future-oriented architecture, it delivers high quality images faster for superlative still and video expression, as well as dramatically improved camera interface responsiveness.
Our renowned sensitivity delivers expanded ISO 409600
The renowned sensitivity of the series scales new heights, with an expanded ISO range for movies from 80 to a remarkable 409600 (standard range 80–102400). With advanced light-gathering and output optimization, the 12.1-megapixel 3 full-frame sensor achieves low noise throughout the sensitivity range, and can capture usable images in near-total darkness.
10-bit 4:2:2 recording
Record right on the camera with the amazing richness of 10-bit depth and 4:2:2 color sampling, for far greater flexibility in image grading, post-processing and compositing.
Superior quality and smaller files with XAVC HS
The new XAVC HS recording format uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to achieve twice the compression efficiency of AVC/H.264 encoding, for superior image quality and smaller file sizes 6.
16-bit RAW HDMI output
For demanding post-production workflows, 16-bit RAW output 8 is available via HDMI connection to compatible external recorders 9 while XAVC HS 4K, XAVC S 4K, or XAVC S-I 4K, and proxy files are simultaneously captured in-camera.
Image quality improvements
The new BIONZ XR image processing engine delivers improvements in color reproduction, stability against different light sources, natural tonal gradation and roll-off, and reduced rolling shutter.
Unique heat dissipation, for dependable recording
A unique Sony Σ (sigma) shaped graphite heatsink is built into the image-stabilization unit. This dissipates heat 5x more effectively 14 for extended recording time, without interfering with image stabilization.
Two CFexpress Type A-compatible media slots
Both card slots support both ultra-fast CFexpress Type A cards, allowing high-bitrate recording and fast buffer clearance, and SDXC UHS-II cards. Parallel and Relay recording are also available.
Vari-angle LCD monitor for comfortable movie shooting
The variable-angle 1.44 million-dot 19 3.0-type touch screen features a side-open design, for flexible positioning and improved visibility when mounting on gimbals or rigs.
9.44 million-dot 19 high-definition electronic viewfinder
The new EVF offers resolution, contrast and color unlike anything in its class 20. It also offers world-leading 0.9x finder magnification 21, a 41 ° diagonal field of view, and a 25-mm-high eyepoint.
Powerful focus control for solo shooters
With AF Transition Speed selectable over 7 levels, and AF Subject Shift Sensitivity over 5 levels, you can better convey your creative intentions when switching subjects or, for example, rack focusing. A simple touch can temporarily activate AF even during manual focus operation.
Superlative movie performance
Digital audio interface for clear sound recording
A digital audio interface added to the Multi Interface (MI) Shoe allows direct 24-bit input. Available settings are 48 kHz/16-bit 2-ch, and by using the optional XLR-K3M adaptor kit, 48 kHz/24-bit 2-ch and 48 kHz/24-bit 4-ch.
Wired LAN connectivity
For complex, interference-prone environments, or higher bandwidth needs, 1000BASE-T wired LAN connectivity is available by connecting a compatible USB-Ethernet adaptor cable to the camera's USB Type C® port.
Designed with the environment in mind
Sony is committed not only to offering products, services and content that deliver exciting experiences but also to working towards our goal of a zero environmental footprint throughout our business activities.
At a Glance
Maximum Photo Resolution and Frame Rates
12.1 MP up to 10 fps
Maximum Movie Resolution and Frame Rates
4K / 120p HD / 240p
Maximum ISO Sensitivity
Photo: ISO 80-102400 (expandable: ISO 40-409600) Movie: ISO 80-102400 (expandable: ISO 80-409600)
Custom key settings, Programmable Setting (Body 3 sets / memory card 4 sets), My Dial Settings, My Menu, Reg Cust Shoot Set
Continuous Drive Speed (approx. max.)
Continuous shooting: Hi+: 10 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6 fps, Lo: 3 fps
Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi+/Hi/Mid/Lo selectable), Self-timer, Self-timer (Cont.), Bracket: Single, Bracket: Cont., White Balance bracket, DRO bracket
No. of recordable frames (approx.)
JPEG Extra fine L: over 1000 frames, JPEG Fine L: over 1000 frames, JPEG Standard L: over 1000 frames, RAW: over 1000 frames, RAW & JPG: over 1000 frames, RAW (Uncompressed): over 1000 frames, RAW (Uncompressed) & JPG: over 1000 frames
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting
10-sec. delay / 5-s delay / 2-s delay / Continuous self-time / Bracketing self-timer
Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Available with AE lock button. (On/Off/Auto)
Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, 3/5/9 frames selectable. (Ambient light, Flash light)
+/- 5.0EV (1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps selectable) (with exposure compensation dial: +/- 3EV [1/3 EV steps])
- Approximate. Effective megapixels.
- Compared to previous version/model.
- ISO range: [Stills] 80-102,400 (Standard), 40-409,600 (Expanded), [Movies] 80-102,400 (Standard), 80-409,600 (Expanded)
- Movie shooting with S-Log 3. Sony test conditions. May require color grading.
- 12p has a 1.1x crop. XAVC S-I (S&Q) 4K 120p 10-bit 4:2:2 requires CFexpress Type A (VPG200 or higher). XAVC S-I 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 requires SDXC V90 or faster. XAVC S / XAVC HS 4K 120p 10-bit 4:2:2 requires SDXC V60 or faster. XAVC S HD 240p 10-bit 4:2:2 requires SDXC V60 or faster. CFexpress Type A supports all internal shooting modes.
- Requires optional compatible external recorder.
- Sony internal test. 77 deg F (25 deg C) (ambient, camera when recording started), Auto Power Off Temperature: High. The value will vary depending on the shooting conditions.
- World’s first based on Sony research. 9.44 M dot Approx values.
- Object recognition compared to cameras with BIONZ X processors.
- Human & animal. Animal Eye-AF not available in movie mode.
- ISO 100 equivalent, F2.0 lens, AF-S mode.
- Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and water resistant.
- When paired with optional XLR-K3M digital microphone adaptor kit
- Via optional adaptor
- Up to 10 fps in continuous “Hi+” mode and up to 8 fps in “H” mode. CFexpress Type A memory card. Sony tests.
- Latest version Image Edge desktop application is required.
- Post-production editing or S&Q mode recording required.
- Audio recording not available in the S&Q mode.
- 1420 x 804 effective sensor readout pixels at 240 fps recording.
- Sony internal test. 25 deg C (ambient, camera when recording started), Auto Power Off Temperature: High. The value will vary depending on the shooting conditions.
- Sony internal test. 25 deg C (ambient, camera when recording started), 160GB CFexpress Type-A card, Auto Power Off Temperature: High. The value will vary depending on the shooting conditions.
- XAVC HS compatible editing software required.
- HLG is a high dynamic range TV format specified by the international ITU-R BT.2100 standard
- When shooting full-frame still images. The number of AF points used depends on the shooting mode.
- Slight 1.1x (10%) image crop in Active Mode. “Standard” setting recommended for focal lengths of 200mm or longer. Active Mode is not available when recording at frame rates of 120 fps (100 fps PAL) or higher, or when using S&Q.
- Mechanical shutter. Only 100 Hz and 120 Hz flicker is detected. Continuous shooting speed may decrease. Anti-flicker shooting is not available during silent shooting, BULB exposure, or movie recording.
- Sony internal tests with electronic front curtain shutter.
- Models sold in some countries/regions support IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) only. 5GHz communication may be restricted in some countries and regions.
- Proxy recording is not available in the following conditions: • Normal movie recording at a [Record Frame Rate] of 100p or higher • S&Q movie recording at a [Record Frame Rate] of 100p or higher• S&Q movies at a [Frame Rate] of 100 fps or higher. Proxy files cannot be played back via the camera.
© 2020 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony is not responsible for typographical and photographic errors. Features and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Sony, the Sony logo, the Alpha logo, Exmor R and BIONZ XR are trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.