Sony Alpha 7S III Full-frame Mirrorless Camera
- 12.1MP1 Exmor R sensor, optimized for 4K, sensitivity and speed
- New BIONZ XR processing engine delivers 8x more processing power2
- Low noise images w/ ISO up to 409,6003 and 15+stop dynamic range4
- Up to 4K 120p5 10-bit 4:2:2 and full pixel readout in all rec. modes
- Up to 4K 120p5 in XAVC S (AVC), XAVC HS (HEVC) and XAVC S-I (All-I)
- 16-bit RAW movie output up to 4K 60p via HDMI Type-A connector6
- Effective internal heat dissipation enables 1-hour 4K 60p recording7
- Fast readout for high frame rates, faster AF, minimal rolling shutter
- No 29m 50s continuous recording limit for movie shooting
- 3” flip-out, vari-angle LCD monitor w/ touch menu and controls
- Dual card slots, both compatible with CFexpress Type A and SDXC/SDHC
- World’s first 9.44M8 dot 0.64” QXGA OLED eye-level viewfinder
- Incredible autofocus w/ 759 phase detection AF points, 92% coverage
- 30% improved9 Real-time Eye-AF10 and Real-time AF tracking down to EV-611
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization with selectable Active mode24
- New menu layout w/ intuitive 3 level structure and touch navigation
- Robust magnesium alloy body w/ dust and moisture resistant sealing12
- MI shoe with digital audio interface up to 4ch. 24bit capability13
- SuperSpeed USB-C with power delivery and Ethernet wired LAN14
- Long Z-battery life extendable via USB Type C with Power Delivery
- Picture Profiles including 10-bit 4:2:2 HLG22 and S-Log 2 & 3
- 10 in-camera customizable Creative Looks for stills and movies
- 7x adjustable AF Transition Speeds, 5x AF Subject Shift Sensitivity
- Up to 1000 RAW+JPEG at 10fps15 w/ continuous autofocus and exposure
- 10-bit HEIF HLG still capture with selectable 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 sampling
- Class leading compact size and weight
- Visible Light and IR Sensor improves WB accuracy in artificial light
- High-speed 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi15 / FTP transfer and wireless PC remote16
For visual trailblazers
With extreme full-frame movie performance including high sensitivity (expanded ISO up to 409600), 15-stop wide dynamic range, 4K 120p 2, fast and dependable autofocusing, and extra-strong image stabilization, the α7S III again raises the bar for movie makers.
Large pixels deliver high sensitivity and low noise
The new full-frame 12.1-megapixel 3 back-illuminated Exmor RTM CMOS image sensor packs major innovations in light-gathering, wiring and output optimization. These deliver blazing doubled readout speeds, superb image quality throughout the whole sensitivity range, 15-stop 4 wide dynamic range, and reduced rolling shutter, with the sensor also providing focal-plane phase-detection AF.
Up to 8x more powerful 5 BIONZ XRTM image processor
Along with the new sensor and its unprecedented speed, the BIONZ XR image processing engine has also been newly developed and packs up to 8x more processing power 5. With a future-oriented architecture, it delivers high quality images faster for superlative still and video expression, as well as dramatically improved camera interface responsiveness.
Our renowned sensitivity delivers expanded ISO 409600
The renowned sensitivity of the series scales new heights, with an expanded ISO range for movies from 80 to a remarkable 409600 (standard range 80–102400). With advanced light-gathering and output optimization, the 12.1-megapixel 3 full-frame sensor achieves low noise throughout the sensitivity range, and can capture usable images in near-total darkness.
10-bit 4:2:2 recording
Record right on the camera with the amazing richness of 10-bit depth and 4:2:2 color sampling, for far greater flexibility in image grading, post-processing and compositing.
Superior quality and smaller files with XAVC HS
The new XAVC HS recording format uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to achieve twice the compression efficiency of AVC/H.264 encoding, for superior image quality and smaller file sizes 6.
16-bit RAW HDMI output
For demanding post-production workflows, 16-bit RAW output 8 is available via HDMI connection to compatible external recorders 9 while XAVC HS 4K, XAVC S 4K, or XAVC S-I 4K, and proxy files are simultaneously captured in-camera.
Image quality improvements
The new BIONZ XR image processing engine delivers improvements in color reproduction, stability against different light sources, natural tonal gradation and roll-off, and reduced rolling shutter.
Unique heat dissipation, for dependable recording
A unique Sony Σ (sigma) shaped graphite heatsink is built into the image-stabilization unit. This dissipates heat 5x more effectively 14 for extended recording time, without interfering with image stabilization.
Two CFexpress Type A-compatible media slots
Both card slots support both ultra-fast CFexpress Type A cards, allowing high-bitrate recording and fast buffer clearance, and SDXC UHS-II cards. Parallel and Relay recording are also available.
Vari-angle LCD monitor for comfortable movie shooting
The variable-angle 1.44 million-dot 19 3.0-type touch screen features a side-open design, for flexible positioning and improved visibility when mounting on gimbals or rigs.
9.44 million-dot 19 high-definition electronic viewfinder
The new EVF offers resolution, contrast and color unlike anything in its class 20. It also offers world-leading 0.9x finder magnification 21, a 41 ° diagonal field of view, and a 25-mm-high eyepoint.
Powerful focus control for solo shooters
With AF Transition Speed selectable over 7 levels, and AF Subject Shift Sensitivity over 5 levels, you can better convey your creative intentions when switching subjects or, for example, rack focusing. A simple touch can temporarily activate AF even during manual focus operation.
Superlative movie performance
Digital audio interface for clear sound recording
A digital audio interface added to the Multi Interface (MI) Shoe allows direct 24-bit input. Available settings are 48 kHz/16-bit 2-ch, and by using the optional XLR-K3M adaptor kit, 48 kHz/24-bit 2-ch and 48 kHz/24-bit 4-ch.
Wired LAN connectivity
For complex, interference-prone environments, or higher bandwidth needs, 1000BASE-T wired LAN connectivity is available by connecting a compatible USB-Ethernet adaptor cable to the camera's USB Type C® port.
Designed with the environment in mind
Sony is committed not only to offering products, services and content that deliver exciting experiences but also to working towards our goal of a zero environmental footprint throughout our business activities.