Sony’s product design, supported by SORPLAS™
Environmental considerations in product design are extremely important to Sony. We developed SORPLAS to incorporate more recycled materials and deliver high performance, to match both our product design and quality reputations.
SORPLAS delivers high quality with environmental consideration
Our twin objectives are to deliver exceptional products, and minimise their environmental impact, in line with our Road to Zero1 environmental goals. We developed recycled flame-retardant plastic SORPLAS to achieve these objectives.
What is SORPLAS?
More efficient resource use with SORPLAS
SORPLAS is made from used water bottles and waste optical discs collected from factories and markets, and a proprietary flame retardant. It’s used in a variety of Sony and external products. SORPLAS won’t degrade too much even after being recycled several times, so in the future, it’s expected that SORPLAS will be recovered and reused in new products.
 Crush  Mold  Products  Collect from factories/markets
Features of SORPLAS
Sony’s recycled plastic SORPLAS is safe, reliable, and its performance in products matches that of virgin plastics2.
High recycled content, up to 99%
Recycled plastic used in electronics is typically only around 30%3 recycled content. Our groundbreaking sulfur-based flame retardant produces consistently high-performance plastic even when using up to 99% recycled content4.
 Recycled content 99%5  Flame retardants, other additives 1%
 Typical flame-retardant recycled polycarbonate plastic
 Recycled content 30%  Petroleum-based virgin plastic 55%  Flame retardants, other additives 15%
Helping to reduce CO2 emissions
CO2 emissions from production of SORPLAS6 can be reduced by approximately 72% compared to flame-retardant virgin plastic production7 used in the same application. 8
[ 1 ] Flame-retardant virgin plastic [ 2 ] SORPLAS with 95% recycled content
Temperature and humidity resistance
To allow products to be used for long periods in a variety of environments, Sony is developing degradation-resistant recycled plastics. As our proprietary formulation uses only a small amount of the flame retardant, SORPLAS has both strength and high resistance to temperature and humidity.
 Retention of initial molecular weight under 85℃, 80%RH  Time elapsed (weeks)  SORPLAS  Flame-retardant recycled PC  Flame-retardant virgin PC
Durability for longer product life
The reduced amount of flame retardant allows SORPLAS to achieve equal or better durability than general flame-retardant plastics. It’s also robust, and has been adopted for uses such as suitcase parts and PC cases that require strength.
Into our products
Performance as good as virgin plastic
In the various products that add colour to our lives, durability and aesthetics also matter. As well as providing solid durability, SORPLAS has a good surface appearance, and can maintain its quality over long periods of use.
Video: “What do you do for this planet?”
Further information about SORPLAS™
- Environmental goals of achieving a zero environmental footprint throughout the life cycle of our products and business activities.
- Newly-manufactured plastic without any recycled materials.
- As of June 2014, according to Sony research. In the case of typical flame-retardant recycled polycarbonate plastic.
- Different types of SORPLAS are available to suit a range of applications, and the volume of recycled content will vary according to application requirements.
- Amount of recycled content varies depending on applications.
- From extraction of raw materials and collection of used and waste materials to production of SORPLAS pellets.
- From extraction of raw materials to production of flame-retardant virgin plastic pellets.
- Based on Sony calculations. Reduction rate varies by types of SORPLAS.
- A95K/A90K/A80K series. The product name varies depending on the country of sale. Use of SORPLAS depends on regions, models and the time of production.
- 2022 models compared to 2018 models, Sony internal estimate. Virgin plastic reduction rate varies by models and regions.
- Xperia 1 IV, Xperia 5 IV. SORPLAS may not be used depending on the time of production.
- Vlog camera: ZV-1, ZV-1F; Digital camera: Alpha 7R V. SORPLAS may not be used depending on the time of production.
- Features and specifications are subject to change without prior notice.