Wireless Industry Leading Noise Canceling Headphones
- Industry-leading noise cancellation optimized to you1
- Magnificent Sound, engineered to perfection
- Crystal clear hands-free calling
- Up to 30-hour battery life with quick charging (3 min charge for 3 hours of playback)2
- Ultra-comfortable, lightweight design with soft fit leather
- Multipoint connection allows you to quickly switch between devices
- Redesigned collapsible case made for easy storage in a bag
- WH-1000XM5 headphones feature intuitive touch control settings
- For everyday convenience, just Speak-to-Chat and Quick Attention mode stop your music and let in ambient sound
- Instant pause. Instant play.
YOUR WORLD. NOTHING ELSE.
The WH-1000XM5 headphones rewrite the rules for distraction-free listening. 2 processors control 8 microphones for unprecedented noise cancellation and exceptional call quality. With a newly developed driver, DSEE – Extreme and Hi-Res audio support the WH-1000XM5 headphones provide awe-inspiring audio quality.1
Take a look around the
Our best noise canceling headphones gets even better
See how the WH-1000XM5 noise canceling headphones combine our best ever noise canceling technology with superlative sound for a truly remarkable listening experience.
At a glance
all your favorite features
Industry-leading noise Cancellation1
Extraordinary sound quality
Our best noise canceling technology gets even better.
Awe-inspiring audio quality delievered directly to you.
Crystal clear call quality
All day listening for the day ahead
With Precise Voice Pickup Technology your calls come in crystal clear.
Ultra-comfortable, lightweight design made for all day listening.
Industry-leading noise cancellation1
From airplane noise to people’s voices, our WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones with 8 microphones for noise cancellation keep out more high and mid frequency sounds than ever. And with the new Auto NC Optimizer, noise canceling is automatically optimized based on your wearing conditions and environment.
Multi Noise Sensor Technology
With 8 total microphones, these headphones are our biggest step forward in noise canceling technology. Ambient sound is captured even more accurately for a dramatic reduction in high frequency noise. Thanks to the new Auto NC Optimizer, noise canceling performance is always and automatically optimized based on wearing conditions and external environmental factors such as atmospheric pressure.
Incomparable noise processing
Specially developed by Sony, the Integrated Processor V1 unlocks the full potential of our HD Noise Canceling Processor QN1. This unique combination of technology controls 8 microphones to deliver unprecedent noise canceling quality.
Newly designed driver
A new 30mm precision-engineered driver unit featuring a soft TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) edge enhances noise canceling, especially in low frequency ranges, helping you enjoy your music precisely without ambient noise. The carbon fiber composite material is light weight and the high rigidity dome improves sound clarity, especially in high frequency ranges.
Magnificent sound, engineered to perfection
The light and rigid precision-engineered driver unit improves high frequency sensitivity for more natural sound quality. Sony unique technologies include a premium lead-free solder containing gold for excellent conductivity, Fine Sound Resistor for even power distribution, and optimized circuitry for an improved signal-to-noise ratio to ensure clear, consistent sound.
High-Resolution Audio with and without wires
The WH-1000XM5 supports High-Resolution Audio and High-Resolution Audio Wireless, thanks to LDAC, our industry-adopted audio coding technology. LDAC transmits approximately three times more data2 than conventional Bluetooth® audio for exceptional High-Resolution Audio quality.5
Real-time restoration of all your compressed files
Using Edge-AI (Artificial Intelligence), DSEE Extreme™ upscales compressed digital music files in real time. Dynamically recognising instrumentation, musical genres and individual elements of each song, it restores high range sound lost in compression.6
Crystal Clear hands-free calling
With Precise Voice Pickup Technology and advanced audio signal processing, the person on the other end of the call will hear your voice clearly, even when you are in noisy situations. Our noise reduction algorithm was developed with AI machine learning using more than 500 million voice samples to suppress ambient noise and extract your voice clearly in a wide range of environments.
4 microphones, focused on your voice
Equipped with 4 beamforming microphones, the WH-1000XM5 headphones are calibrated to only pick up your voice. An improved signal-to-noise ratio enables them to catch every single word, even when there’s a lot of noise around.
As soon as you start a conversation, Speak-to-Chat automatically stops your music and lets in ambient sound – handy if you want to keep your headphones on or talk hands-free. This smart feature uses microphones built into your headphones and advanced audio signal processing to recognise and react to your voice. Once your chat is over, your music starts playing again automatically.3
Instant pause. Instant play.
Just take the headphones off and the music stops – a capacitive sensor knows when you are wearing them. It also helps improve detection accuracy and design. Put the headphones back on and the music starts again.
Control with your voice
Just say “OK Google” or “Alexa” to activate your preferred voice assistant. Enjoy entertainment, connect with friends, get information, listen to music and notifications, set reminders, and more. You can even control your headphones’ features like noise cancellation with your voice listen to and interact with emails in Microsoft Outlook and join Microsoft Teams meetings using Google Assistant or Siri.8
For total convenience, these Bluetooth® headphones can be paired with two Bluetooth devices at the same time.9 So when a call comes in, your headphones know which device is ringing and connects to the right one automatically. You’ll also be able to quickly switch your headphones to either of the two devices at the touch of a button.
The WH-1000XM5 supports Google’s helpful new Fast Pair feature.11 It lets you easily locate where you left your headphones by tone sound or checking their last known location in Google’s Find My Device app on your smartphone.
Easy pairing with your computer
Swift Pair makes it quick and easy to pair your headphones with your Windows 11 or Windows 10 laptop, desktop PC or tablet. Pop-up pairing guidance appears on nearby Windows 11 or Windows 10 devices when pairing mode is selected.11
All day comfort with an elegant design
These lightweight headphones are beautifully finished in newly developed soft fit leather. This material fits snugly around the head with less pressure on the ears while keeping out external sounds. Our elegant design with stepless slider, seamless swivel and hanger, and silent joints, makes WH-1000XM5 a pleasure to wear.
All day power and quick charging
With up to 30 hours of battery life, you’ll have enough power even for long trips. If you need to charge in a hurry, you can get 3 hours worth of charge after just 3 minutes with an additional USB-PD compatible AC adapter.10,2
Collapsible case saves space
Carry your headphones effortlessly in the redesigned case.
So immersive. So real.
Immerse yourself in sound all around you. As real as if you are there at a live concert or with the artist recording in a studio. With 360 Reality Audio, music has never been so immersive and so real. These headphones let you enjoy 360 Reality Audio.12
360 Spatial Sound Personalizer
With the Sony | 360 Spatial Sound Personalizer app, you’ll enjoy a sound experience that’s optimized for you. The app captures and analyses your ear shape, allowing these headphones to create your own personal spatial sound field when using WLA-NS7 to connect to BRAVIA XR TVs (sold sep.)13
Dolby Atmos Experience
With a Sony WLA-NS7 wireless transmitter connected to a BRAVIA XR TV (sold sep.), your headphones create the ideal arrangement of phantom speakers all around you so you can enjoy a Dolby Atmos experience. Be immersed in the scene and feel right at the heart of the action.
Better for the environment
There’s no plastic in the WH-1000XM5 packaging, which is designed based on low toxicity design principles and a ‘Made to be Remade’ philosophy that’s more socially responsible. 99% of paper packaging, other than labels, is produced using recycled and sustainable materials developed specially for Sony. WH-1000XM5 also uses recycled plastic materials from automobile parts.
Designed with the environment in mind
Sony is committed not only to offering products, services and content that deliver exciting experiences but also to working towards our goal of a zero environmental footprint throughout our business activities.
BATTERY LIFE (CONTINUOUS COMMUNICATION TIME)
Max. 24 hrs (NC ON) , Max. 32 hrs (NC OFF)
Battery Charge Method
Battery Charge Time
Approx. 3.5 hrs
Battery Life (continuous music playback time)
Max. 30 hrs (NC ON), Max. 40 hrs (NC OFF)
Bluetooth Specification Version 5.2
2.4 GHz band (2.4000–2.4835 GHz)
A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP
Supported Audio Format(s)
SBC, AAC, LDAC
Supported Content Protection
approx. 3.94 ft
4 Hz–40,000 Hz (JEITA)
Frequency Response (Active Operation)
4 Hz–40,000 Hz
Frequency Response (Bluetooth® Communication)
20 Hz–20,000 Hz (44.1 kHz Sampling) 20 Hz–40,000 Hz (LDAC 96 kHz Sampling 990 kbps)
- As of 01/01/2022 Headband-style of noise-cancelling headphones
- Actual performance varies based on settings, environmental conditions, and usage. Battery capacity decreases over time and use.
- Download Sony Headphones Connect app at Google Play and the App Store. Network services, content, and operating system and software subject to terms and conditions and may be changed, interrupted or discontinued at any time and may require fees, registration and credit card information.
- At the maximum transfer rate of 990 kbps.
- Need to set the function to “Priority on Sound Quality” using the Sony | Headphones Connect app. Compatible devices supporting LDAC will be needed.
- Activate DSEE Extreme™ from the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
- Install the Auto Play app and set up with Sony | Headphones Connect app. Download app at Google Play and the App Store. Network services, content, and operating system and software subject to terms and conditions and may be changed, interrupted, or discontinued at any time and may require fees, registration and credit card information.
- The feature to activate Google Assistant by saying “OK Google” is only available for Android devices. Google, Google Assistant and Android are trademarks of Google LLC. Amazon, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The Google Assistant and Alexa are not available in all languages and countries/regions. Install the Google Assistant app and set up with Sony | Headphones Connect app. For Amazon Alexa, install the Amazon Alexa app and set up with Sony | Headphones Connect app. Google Assistant is only available for Android devices.
- Interoperability and compatibility among Bluetooth® devices vary.
- The adapter is not included with WH-1000XM5.
- Download app at Google Play and the App Store. Network services, content, and operating system and software subject to terms and conditions and may be changed, interrupted or discontinued at any time and may require fees, registration and credit card information.
- Download Sony Headphones Connect app at Google Play and the App Store. Network services, content, and operating system and software subject to terms and conditions and may be changed, interrupted or discontinued at any time and may require fees, registration and credit card information. 360 Reality Audio requires subscription to compatible online music service and third-party terms, conditions, account and fees may apply.
- Sony | 360 Spatial Sound Personalizer is an app that personalizes your sound experience when connected to a BRAVIA XR TV.
©2022 Sony Electronics, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony and the Sony logo are trademarks and or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. Bluetooth and the Bluetooth logo are trademarks of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners. Features and specifications are subject to change without notice.